Travis has always been a bit of an explorer. He likes to take the road less traveled, and he had done it many times before in his previous van. However, now that he’s settling down with his girlfriend and wants to start living full-time off-grid, he wanted some advice on what appliances aand accessories he would need to convert his step van into a small live-aboard tiny home.
Living off the grid in a Tiny Home can be a rewarding experience.
However, it is not without its challenges. One of the most difficult parts of living off-grid is figuring out what appliances to use and how to get power for them. Travis used this blog post to help find all of the necessary accessories that he needed in order to live comfortably without access to an electrical outlet or nearby city electricity service.
He was starting from scratch, so he decided to look for 40 essential accessories for his Tiny House which he needed for this kind of lifestyle change, he realized that there isn’t anything out there specifically made for people who want this lifestyle type of conversion. With the help of friends online as well as some DIY work himself (and a lot more research), Travis successfully converted a trailer into a tiny home on wheels, here are 40 of his favourite buys.
- Sealed hardwood flooring covered with waterproof high-grade Non-Slip vinyl, various color options available
- Closed-cell ceiling and wall insulation, eco-friendly options are available
- Roof cladding for added protection and esthetics, use lightweight option when available.
- Ceiling downlight lamps create a smooth warm light throughout your van
- 12v charging ports and 5v USB device ports are a must for full-timers
- First Aid Kit – general outdoor use
- Elevating Roof and Roof Bed or a High Top Roof.
- LPG 2 Burner Gas Hob
- Dometic LPG oven unit
- SMEV Sink with matching smoked glass lid
- 12v electronic regulator tap
- 12v water heater
- 30 Gallon RV Fresh/Gray Water Tank
- Electronic Water Level Gauge
- Shurflo 8000-543-238 On Demand 12VDC Diaphragm Pump
- Portable Camping Toilet or composting loo
- 12v Pure Sinewave Inverter – safe clean converted energy for sensitive electrical appliances
- Compressor Fridge/Freezer.
- 12v low output digital TV system
- Mobile internet MIFI Router
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Smoke Detector
- Combination PowerPoints, USB, 12 Volt, 240 Volt.
- Gas Storage Cupboard with Tank Strap.
- Mains Electric Hook up with Electric sockets
- 12v leisure battery charging system
- Additional LED overhead locker and closet lighting.
- Lined black-out blinds fully insulated throughout.
- External Camping Awning
- Maxx ceiling fan
- Fire extinguisher 12-volt and 240v capability
- Fire blanket
- 12v Fan – air distribution
- Folding Solar Panels to capture more solar energy
- First aid kit with CPR mask
- the solar-powered water pump is also an option to conserve battery power when boondocking
- Petrol or diesel Inverter Generator for occasional use in emergencies
- Water purification system
- Diesel heater for additional or backup warmth
- Dehumidifier to help prevent damp
When Travis had finished turning the trailer into his tiny home on wheels, he got so excited and wanted to show off all of the work he put into it and to start his US adventure with his girlfriend. They were going to live the off-grid lifestyle and find a small plot of land and develop a smallholding. From there he could enjoy nature, hiking to remote places, camping under the stars – a completely new life for them both!
With all of the care he put into making their future home feel like a home, there was no way she couldn’t see how much love he put into this place! They were going to live an adventure every day – with hiking and camping trips planned right away as soon as they had planted fruit, vegetables rape-seeded the rest of their land.
The first few weeks were amazing. Travis loved showing off their little off-grid tiny home when out hiking and camping, making friends at local bars they came across while surveying their surrounding area, or when they made friends while camping with a “come check this out!” as they found campgrounds near by filled with like-minded people ready for an amazing adventure.