Taking on a DIY RV conversion project is one of the coolest, most rewarding, and exhausting things you will ever attempt, but sometimes you just need a little help with getting the right tools for the job so you are free and ready to let your creative juices flow. To help you decide, we have made a list of must-have and nice-to-have useful DIY van conversion tools to help get you started.
Before we get into the types of tools you will need to convert your van into a camper van, here is a list of the initial jobs you will need to complete.
- Wood framing for support and insulating your floor – square edge level and a saw will get you going.
- Closed-cell insulation placement into the framework of your vehicle – an insulation cutting tool would be handy.
- Securing battons for sidewall, roof, and vent support – tape measure is a must.
- 12v cable running to appliances and accessories – wire cutters and crimpers for safety.
- Carpeting exposed metal around the van – sharp scissors are essential.
- Cladding your walls gives a quality finished look – a power stapler would make this job easier.
- Constructing bed frame and kitchen units – rechargeable drill and saw will speed up your build.
If you have already done a RV conversion and would like to share some tools and suggestions, please leave a comment below. If you have questions about building your own RV, campervan, or motorhome, you can also ask in the comments of this post.
- To start your conversion you definitely need a portable workbench
- Securing quick-grip clamps to assist in material cutting
- Rechargeable jigsaw, scroll saw, mitre saw, or bench saw for floor framing and wall lining
- Quality rechargeable drill plus wood and metal drill bits
- Cordless drill impact-driver will speed up all your fixing jobs
- Electric router for making those finished edges look professional
- Heat gun
- Electric cable lug crimper
- Contour gauge for all those awkward corners
- Kreg jig pocket hole kit for angled and concealed wood joints
- Drill step bits for widening and counter-sinking holes
- Caulking mastic sealant gun
- Pex type pipe fitting crimper
- Detailing sander for smoothing and finishing wood surfaces and edges
- Multimeter for testing your 12v electrical installation
- Hammer, screwdrivers, wire cutters, and pliers
Hopefully, the links above have given you all the necessary information about the tools you need. The aforementioned equipment is essential to build your campervan, but if you already have most of these tools in your toolbox, you are one step ahead of most RV DIYers. If you have all the equipment you need to work on your RV conversion then your initial investment will be minimal.
This van conversion tool guide is perfect if you want practical information on the tools you will need that will help you to finish your RV conversion quickly. If you are struggling and need help with the interior design of your motorhome, then maybe a pre-built, ready-made RV conversion kit would be the answer. You might want to think about hiring someone to do the basic wood lining, soundproofing, insulation, and initial electric install.
You will not successfully convert your RV without good tools, so if you can, invest in a high-quality rechargeable battery toolset for speedy operation. When you have the right tools for converting your RV, you will really save a lot of time and money on preparing and creating furniture in the long run. It will lead to a better build finish, safer van conversion, and will give you more flexibility on what you can spend time or money on later in your conversion. You can do a DIY RV conversion on a more modest budget, but hopefully, you have all the tools you need to make your RV a great space for living and exploring. Now you’ve read about some of the must-have tools you need, try to stick to “your” budget, and you decide which tools you absolutely must-have, and which tools you might be able to borrow.